Monday 8 April 2013

Final Class and Summary


It honestly does not feel like this class should have ended... where did the time go? I literally had to ask some memebers of our class if this Saturday was the LAST one and if our presentations were do.

Am I just out of it, or did the class just go by super fast??

Anyway, our last class was great. It was so intersting to hear other peoples case studies and hear about some students... it was also really nice to get some feed back and be able to chat about what some schools have and don't have... and how involved the administration is. I was actually shocked at some of the things that came up... for example... one school not having access to the wifi! What is up with that?? My school has wifi all over and we all (including the students) know the password.

I learned a lot about how a little change to the way that a student is taught can make a HUGE difference in their work output. Having only Learning Centre experience, it was nice to have a little glimpse of how this can all work in the classroom... the students does not need to just be removed to get use of the tech.


This is my moto when my iPhone or iPad isn't working properly (which rarely happens because they are aweosme)!

 
I was having a conversation with someone yesterday who was talking about a conversation she was having with a woman who was in a wheelchair that did not have much motion in her arms and that was non-verbal. She was describing the way that this woman communicated. She used her eyes to look up for yes, and down for no. When people talk to her, they go through the alphabet and the woman spells by looking up to say yes to certain letters- this is amazing, but it made me think "isn't there something better that she could be doing? I don't know if she had the ability to use her arms or not... but my mind automatically went through all of the speech devices that she would benefit from.


From THIS to THIS



Before assistive tech class my interest was with boardmaker! I thought that PECS was awesome and that having visual schedules using the boardmaker symbols was the way to go. Until I was introduced to Proloquo2go and was shown how to use it. I had been given an iPod to use with a student last year in my elementary learning centre, but was not told anything about it and was not shown how to use it. So, I didn't. I spent LOTS of time finding symbols and cutting and laminating and making velcrow choice boards and sentence strips. My gosh it took forever!!! I will absolutley think twice before I ever do that again and I will send an assistive tech request in before I even think of doing something.
 
 
Technology (especially my precious iPhone) is much needed!!!
 
 
 

 
I wish I could have made this bigger... super neat chart of technology! If you go on technology quotes in i and then go t
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment